Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Welcome {a home tour}

So, I don't know if you're like me but I love to see inside other people's homes. It's just fun for some reason. The past few weeks I've been working my butt off trying to get settled. Moving to a smaller home has required me to sort through each box carefully to decide what to get rid of and what to keep. We had a garage sale weekend before last and it was a HUGE success! And with the proceeds from that we were able to get a new couch, yay! This past Saturday we had an open house party which was a big motivator for me to finish unpacking.

First, a few pictures I snapped during the inspection when we first put an offer on the house (the previous owners were still living here at that point).
Not horrible but not great either. The house came with the delightful smell of cat litter, filth and bathrooms reeking of urine. I'm telling you, these people NEVER cleaned the floors (or anything for that matter) once!
the Before the Before
Master bedroom:
the Before

Here's what it looks like now! New paint in every room of the house.the After
Yes, I put a massive deer mural on the wall! I saw it on Urban Outfitters and fell in love with it. I've gotten a lot of mixed reactions but it's a great statement piece and I'm lucky to have a husband that allows me free reign in the decorating department.
the After
Above you can see my Native Quilt right at home on our new couch along with a new pillow I whipped up yesterday (my first sewing project in the new house!).
the After
The natural light in this house is awesome! The master bedroom is the only room that is pretty dark but I'm fine with that because it stays cool and is great for sleeping.
the After
The dining area is a little tight but I was determined to have my sideboard in there.
the After
I added a few new little pieces of art, the feathers print from a local Etsy artist, Anna Tovar, and a very cool Beetles Print which was an instant download if you can believe it!
the After
The master bedroom! It just feels so much larger with our stuff in it than when we first looked at it. Actually, the whole house feels that way. I don't think my picture shows the wall color completely accurately but it's fairly close. I fell in love with this color when I saw it on Apartment Therapy.
the After the After
So happy with the art above our dresser. I was inspired to make the triangles print when I saw this one. And the print on the top left is a free printable.
the After

Here is Jack's room. I knew I wanted to put triangles on one wall when I saw the tutorial from Vintage Revivals. I want to add a book ledge on the blank wall by his bed. Still some work to do in this room.
the After

Okay, the room that still has some boxes (they are just out of sight in the picture), the office/sewing room. At least it is finally functional. I literally sewed for the first time in it yesterday. And boy, did it feel good! Basically, all my sewing stuff is organized but we still need to get some shelves put up so I can organize the office stuff.
the After

That's it! It's a cozy little house and I'm so happy to finally have it fixed up on such a small budget!

10 comments:

Heather D. said...

What a beautiful home Emily! I love seeing the little quilted things all over the place.

Devin said...

Love it! I can't believe how different it looks from when you bought it! All the decorating is awesome. Perfectly eclectic, just simple. I too, love seeing inside other people's houses. That's why I love Apartment therapy so much!

Erica said...

I LOVE it. One day when I buy a house I may need to come to you for advice. I love those flying geese on the wall, it looks great.

peaknits said...

It looks fantastic! Inspires me to get rid of so e things and throw some paint on my own walls:)

Rycrafty said...

I LOVE the deer mural! The whole house looks great, the triangles are fun too!

Carla said...

You did a great job. It looks like a very cute house and I like your artistic touches

knottygnome said...

wow, it looks so neat and tidy! love what you've done with it. i am horrible about decorating. i basically still haven't done it after 4 years of living in the house.

Cari said...

I agree - it IS really fun to see other people's houses. And you have a great sense of style. I for one really like that deer mural. :) As well as all the art you've pulled together. Thanks for the peek!

A Trio Beautiful said...

What a turn around; I love what you've done with your new home! I especially love the deer mural!

Maryse said...

Congratulations! This is a very nice new home!