Saturday, February 24, 2007

Instant gratification....

Well, almost.


Pattern: Ms Marigold

Yarn: Rowan Wool Cotton in color #955 "Ship Shape" aka dark teal; near 4 balls!!

Needles: US #5 and #3 circulars and a size F/5 crochet hook

Mods: Yarn sub. Used a one size smaller crochet hook because that's all I had. Did only 3 crochet rows instead of 5 on the shoulder ruffles. Added 2 waist decreases and 2 waist increases.

Notes: Please excuse the self-portrait style pics and the yarn tail hanging out that I forgot to trim off. I really love this little top...so cute I think! Unfortunately, the yarn estimates was a bit of an issue. The pattern calls for 3 balls of 110 yards dk yarn. First of all, my guage was spot on, second, the yarn sub I used had 123 yards per ball....so why did I have to use nearly 4 balls? You got me. All I know is I've seen that a lot of other people in blogland had this same issue and boy am I glad I got this yarn at my LYS so I could just run in and grab another ball. Anyway, it all turned out good in the end. I'm happy and I love the color and I LOVE Wool Cotton! The crochet was fun too but my wrist isn't used to that kind of action!

Look at this adorable top I saw on What Not to Wear!


I want to make this!! You can't see it in the lovely TV picture here but there are cables running diagonally out from the neck and center (does that make sense?). Surely, this wouldn't be too hard to make? it looks like you could just do a kind of standard top down raglan with a fairly deep raglan and add lots of waist shaping...what do you think? of course, adding cables complicates things a bit but it would look good plain too maybe. I want to make my Phildar Swing Jacket first though.

13 comments:

Laura B said...

Ms. Marigold looks great! Good job!

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful -- and so flattering! I have a quick question -- how did you decide to do additional decreases and increases? And how did you figure out that 2 were enough? Was it just by trying it on as you knit? Thanks for any info. and as always, I love your blog!

Lara said...

I love Ms. Marigold! The fit is perfect and the color is fantastic! Now I want to be a copy cat and make one just like it. Love it. I also love that orange sweater. It reminds me of Flair. I bet you could alter flair to look like that. Very cute.

Annie said...

Ms. Marigold looks fantastic! I really like the color. Woo hoo!

Anonymous said...

Your Ms. Marigold is gorgeous - I hope mine comes out half as well!

Yours is the second recent project I've seen in that yarn and color, and I think I may need some soon. So pretty!

I think the other sweater is vaguely like flair too. You must be obsessed with the same kind of jackets I am, I just love this and I'm planning the Phildar jacket soon.

Anushka said...

It's very cute -I really like your chosen colour.

Micki said...

Beautiful top! You're ready for spring.

Disentangled said...

Super cute! I just picked up 4 balls of wool cotton from my LYS with nothing really assigned to them...hmmm...you have me thinking once again! Thanks!

rfx1982 said...

Ms. Marigold looks great! The color is wonderful. I already loved the Zephyr patterns when I started reading you blog, but now I really want to make some of them.

Tangledbleus said...

Please tell me that that cute jacket was not filed under "What Not to Wear" I love that show, but sometimes I think Stacy is a bit out of her mind :)

jillian said...

That looks smashing on you! I think that's my favorite I've seen. Thanks for the heads up on the yardage issue - I hadn't heard about that.

Anonymous said...

i think it's funny that you want to knit something seen on what not to wear :-p

its cute though....and if you do, write the pattern up so I can knit one too!

Anonymous said...

Another cute FO, in a great color! Congrats!