Sunday, September 17, 2006

Pea Pod Baby Set

I have finally finished it. The baby is due next month but I made the 6 months size because they live in Alaska and winter lasts a long time up there. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the adorable hat that goes with this sweater because I gave it to the parents when they were down here for a visit and forgot to take a pic.


Pattern: Pea Pod Baby Set (hat and sweater) by Kate Gilbert

Yarn: Knit Picks Shine Sport in Green Apple

Needles: #6

Mods: I actually ended up having to change a lot. For some reason, even though my guage was spot-on, the length of the sweater from neck to hem came out a few inches longer than it should have. So I stopped the leaf pattern when I got to the correct length...otherwise the sleeves would not have fit into the sleeve holes of the body. And the pattern calls for a leaf pattern edge along the neckline but I didn't like how it looked so I ripped it and did the seed stitch neckline instead. Overall I think it turned out great! the color isn't really accurate in the pictures....it's actually a bit brighter. This was also my first time seaming a sweater together....and I hated it! what a pain in the rear!!
So, what motivated this sudden finishing of a sweater that has been sitting nearly finished for several months now? Well, it was a scary situation this morning that involved a near fatality of a certain shawl that I so happily showed you the progress of in my previous post! Yes, I woke up this morning to find that my evil cats had managed to OPEN the glass doors of a cabinate and drag out Ella. Luckily, they only somewhat mangled the ball of yarn and left the shawl itself untouched!! I nearly had a heart-attack, let me tell you! However, when I sat down to more closely examine things, I found that one of them had chewed on the tip of the bamboo needles....enough so that they snagged the yarn pretty good when I tried to knit with them. So, not having another pair of #8s, I decided to finish the baby sweater. The end.

8 comments:

Kaitie Tee said...

It turned out beautifully! This pattern has been so popular - every one I've seen has turned out so nicely. I think I may have to jump on the bandwagon!

Disentangled said...

Kitties. Too smart for their own good, I say. I think they do it to keep you on your toes. Jenny, although doggie, not kitty, every so often decides that my knitting looks better heaped on the floor and slightly chewed on.

Amy said...

It's a beautiful sweater! You did a wonderful job.

Lara said...

That sweater is soooo cute. You did a fantastic job and I love those buttons.

Anonymous said...

That looks great!!! Love the buttons too!

msubulldog said...

I am dying to knit Pea Pod! Alas, it is toward the bottom of a loooong list. :) Your is so pretty. And Ella! Wow. Gorgeous colors. I'm definitely going to check out Yarnbow ('cause I love Lorna's!).

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I enjoyed yours so much I've added it to my Bloglines. :)
--Amanda

Anonymous said...

Aww such a cute project! I think the moss st edging looks grand.

Anonymous said...

And those kitties look so innocent, don't they. I have bamboo needles with teeth marks still on them from a past cat, Barnie (God rest his soul), and everytime I see them now, it makes me miss him, even though I now have two new terrors that ignore the needles so far.