Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Wonky Stripes Baby Quilt + Tutorial!

I have the cutest little baby boy quilt to show you today! It is so easy and fun to make I though some of you might like to whip one up too so I have a quick tutorial made up.
Wonky Stripes is the most unoriginal name but I am at a loss....what would you name it?

Wonky Stipes Baby Quilt Wonky Stipes Baby Quilt Wonky Stipes Baby Quilt Wonky Stipes Baby Quilt

This quilt ended up being 37.5" by 48".
You'll need at least 10 fat quarters.
Cut 40 8"x8" squares from your fabrics.

Stack a variety of 4 squares, making sure that the top and bottom squares are not the same color (because they will be touching each other when you sew them into blocks).
Wonky Stripes Tutorial

Make 3 cuts at slightly wonky angles so that you have 4 stacks of strips. Make sure to keep the stacks in the order you cut them in.
Wonky Stripes Tutorial

Next, rearrange the layers so you can sew them together into blocks.
Wonky Stripes Tutorial
Now sew together the strips in the order you see them from left to right.

One thing to take note of when you're sewing the strips together. Because you are sewing angled pieces, you need to overlap the points where the seam allowance is.
Wonky Stripes Tutorial
You'll end up with 4 finished blocks that are 8"x6.5".
Wonky Stripes Tutorial
After all the blocks are pieced, you can arrange them (with the blocks turned horizontal) 5 blocks across and 8 blocks down. Finally, sew the blocks into 5 vertical columns and then sew the columns together. Done!

I'm working on a version of this with girly colors as you can above. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

13 comments:

tabbiegirl said...

Love this quilt! Thanks for the great tutorial! I was wondering how you made it and now I can make one too!

Kelly O. said...

thank you for the tutorial!

Rori said...

Thanks for the tutorial! This will be a great way to use up some of my reds, blues and other older colors.

Barb said...

Just found your blog and I love this. Gonna try it with layer cakes.

Psychoquilter said...

Thank you for this brilliant tutorial, I'm going to try this soon!

Carla said...

This is really cute Em. Thanks for the tutorial too.
My first thought with the colour scheme was
'all American baby' : )

lmno said...

Thank you for posting the finished quilt and your method in such a straightforward manner. I have a number of 8 inch squares cut. I will cut a few more lights and try this soon.

Unknown said...

I love this quilt! I'm thinking of enlarging the size for a layer cake I'd like to use up. I'll have to see how that works. I love the colors you used in the boy version.

Rhonda Halushka said...

This is cool! Have you ever done it with just solid colors? I may try that, love the idea of the wonky blocks!

GrandmaSue10 said...

You made wonky blocks look easier than I thought they would be. Thanks

gmaebe said...

I just finished making the top for a twin size quilt using this pattern :) It's in all grays and a few blacks, requested by my teenage granddaughter. I plan to quilt it in two vertical sections and then attach the two. Thanks for sharing how to make this block!

Gumbo25 said...

This is such a cool pattern! Love it!

sewcraftt said...

I have lots of fat quarters and I make lots of charity baby quilts. The guild request is for 6.5 by 6.5 squares, I am quite bored with these type of quilt. I will be making use of your tutorial! So much fun!