Wednesday, May 07, 2014

new machine!

So...yeah, this just happened.

Juki TL-2010Q yeah, this just happed. :)
A couple of months ago I started doing a little research on machines. I needed to save up a little so I've just been biding my time but yesterday I started reading lots of reviews on different machines again.
Right now, I use a Janome MC6500 (my mom gave it to me about 5 years ago) but use it only for free-motion quilting because that's how I have it set up (the tension is not easy to get right!). I use a Janome Magnolia 7330 for piecing and any other type of sewing. I've been dissatisfied with the stitch quality of my FMQ and a few annoying problems it's had with the top thread getting caught on the lowered feed dogs while FMQ. I found others online that had this same problem and they used a piece of masking tape over the feed dogs to solve the problem. Sure enough, ever since I have used the masking tape I have not had the problem but still, it's a pain to have to do that on such an expensive machine.

Anyway, I've had it narrowed down to a Janome MC8900 or a Juki TL-2010Q. Several features on the Janome really appealed to me, like their Acufeed system and 11" of harp space. However, when it comes to computers I'm not a geek and am super intimidated to learn all the ins and outs (heck! I've never really figured out my 6500) nor do I need any fancy stitches. Honestly though I probably would have gone with the Janome if I'd had the extra cash for it.
So with the price being almost a third of the Janome and after seeing how pleased so many Juki owners are with their 2010s I decided to go for it. It's a straight stitch only machine but that's what I mainly do - straight stitch and FMQ, plus I have my little Janome still for zigzag or other things like that. This morning I drove about 40 minutes to a local store that had one in stock (for less than the best online price I saw too!). I'm really excited to get to know this new machine!

Well, I'll let y'all know what I think after a while.

6 comments:

Jeanie said...

I'm hoping to get the same machine this summer! I'm looking forward to hearing how well you like it.

Franziska said...

Have fun!

Kim said...

I just got one last week and I LOVE it. The stitch quality is wonderful and the foot is a perfect scant quarter inch.

Mr. de Greeff said...

Oooh, yay! Good for you Emily. :)

Heather @ Winding Bobbins said...

Ooops, sorry Emily, that above comment was from me with my hubby's account. :)

knottygnome said...

congrats on your new machine! how exciting.