Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Jack's quilt

My forth finished project for August is a twin sized quilt for Jack's new big boy bed. The colors in this quilt are totally different from what I normally work with. I am usually drawn to bright colors for quilts but I LOVE how this quilt came out because it reminds me of fall and I absolutely love fall colors. Most of the fabrics came from my mom's fabric stash which was nice. Jack's big boy bed quilt
When I was trying to decide on a design I was really inspired by this quilt I saw on Flickr. I loved the wonkyness and scrappyness of it. Now I admit, I don't do wonkyness and I was a bit stumped on how to go about creating the vision I had in my head. After searching and studying the different methods (thanks to this list of links from the knottygnome knits!) I came up with my plan. Of course, after I had finished the top I found this tutorial using the "stack and slash" method (what I also used) which would have saved me time spent thinking it all though. I was thinking I might also do a tutorial so that others can see the similar but slightly different way to make this kind of quilt. What do you think?
Jack's big boy bed quilt
Jack's big boy bed quilt
I'm really so happy with how it came out and how it looks on Jacks' bed. I'm almost done with his "big boy room" makeover and I can't wait to show it to you! The look I'm going after is sort of vintage boy scout/smokey the bear/outdoorsy and I think this quilt fits into that scheme perfectly.
Jack's big boy bed quilt

I hope everyone had a lovely Labor Day here in the States yesterday! I spent the majority of the day relaxing, enjoying the incredible weather and working on a new pattern (more on that tomorrow!).

5 comments:

knottygnome said...

it's awesome! you should enter it in celebrate color.

http://www.stitchedincolor.com/p/celebrate-color.html

Maryse said...

This is a beautiful quilt and I look forward to seeing Jack's new bedroom! This teddybear really seems to enjoy the new bed too!

Rebecca said...

Just came over to say again, this is so adorable. It can be tough to find a manly quilt. But this one is great. I have a little boy too.

Bea said...

This is a great for a little boy. I think you are hitting the vintage boy scout...thing your going for from the looks of the bed. Very cute.

beth said...

Love this!! Yes, do a tutorial on how you made it!! I'd love to do one like it!