Monday, December 25, 2006

Good Times....

You know, I've never blogged about food before but I wanted to post a recipe that has become kind of a tradition to make around Christmas and New Years. It's a recipe that my mom started making years ago and she doesn't remember where she got it from. We don't even really know the name of it either.....we just call them "Bacon/Water Chestnuts Appetizer". Anyway, here's the process as I do it:

1)First, you start with a package of regular bacon, two cans of whole water chestnuts, and some toothpicks. Cut the package of bacon into thirds and wrap each piece of bacon around a whole water chestnut and secure with a toothpick.

2) Next, you broil them 'til the bacon is crispy. And you make a sauce with approximately 1 cup of ketchup, 1 tablespoon of yellow mustard, and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and stir until combined.

3)Lastly, you transfer all the bacon thingys (technical term) to a baking dish and drizzle the sauce liberally over them and bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15 minutes or until everything is warmed and a little bubbling.

Now, if you're still with me, this sounds totally weird, I know, but trust me, it is crazy good....especially if you're a fan of bacon. :) It's just the perfect combo of salty, crunchy, sweet and vinegery!

So, it's Christmas evening now and we've had a great time with all our families and friends! I really love this time of year because it's one of the only times everyone can get together.
Here's a gift that I couldn't blog about for a while but now that it's been gifted here it is:
Pattern: Counterpane Accessories pouch from Handknit Holidays
Yarn: Lamb's Pride Cotton Fleece in Red, less than half a skein
Needles: #4
Notes: the knitting was really fun but the finishing is actually quite a bit of work. I did it far enough in advance though that I was able to just do a little bit at a time.


And as if there aren't enough pictures in this post already, I leave you with this very cute one of my cat on the perfect Christmas Eve day:

Merry Christmas everyone!

3 comments:

Disentangled said...

Hope you had a great holiday! I friend of mine makes a similar appetizer only instead of putting the sauce on after, she marinates the water chestnuts before she wraps them in the bacon. Yum!

Alyssa said...

Happy holidays! We always called that rumaki. Though in true rumaki I believe you use a little chicken liver too. Delicious!

Anonymous said...

ive had those too! only my family usually makes them with scallops, not water chestnuts. I hope you had a wonderful holiday :)